Monday, June 22, 2009

Three Year Anniversary

It's been 3 years today since I've had the thymectomy. And just a month more than that since I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis. I can't believe it's been that long. Still feels like just yesterday.
3 years ago I couldn't smile, squint my eyes, see straight, feel my lips, swallow, or even talk at times. I was exhausted all the time. I would eat cereal and food would fall out of my mouth. That's when I started to think something was wrong. It wasn't until the inability to swallow, smile, or talk did I know for sure.
I thought for sure I was going to die in a hotel room by myself in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Definitely not a place I wanted to spend my last days.
And now, 3 years later, I'm still here. Although MG is a chronic auto-immune neuromuscular disease, it's quite treatable. It is still a struggle every single day. I still have awful awful days. There are still days that I can't feel my lips, see straight, swallow, or make my arms function properly. I still have to take pills every 4 hours. But when I remember back to what I was like, when I look at pictures of the non-facial expression, I can't help but be amazed at how much better I am. For some reason I think that's why I burn the candle at both ends. I try and fit as much into life that I can, right now while I have it. What else are we here for?

No comments:

Post a Comment