Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cha cha cha chaaaaanges

Friday was a big day. 

My company has been going through a lot of difficulty this past year.  It's been really hard to sit outside my boss's office and hear him slowly lose the fight.  It seems he's become calloused to the loss of clients... I know this can't be true.  But how much fight can you put into the same phone call saying yet another client is breaking contract.  When it's all there is... you fight.

So.  Friday was a big day.  I've been hearing things for a long time.  There have been meetings.  Shareholders have been on the move.  Things were happening.  Friday, the bomb dropped.  13 layoffs.  This coming after 3 people were fired the month before.  And a good half dozen people have quit in the past 6 months.  We're at scary low numbers here.  And somehow I'm still around.
I went to talk to my boss the night before, and told him I knew things were going down.  He just said it was going to be a hard day.  I told him I'd be there early.

So things started happening right at 8am.  People were crying.  I think there was a lot of confusion from all the newbies.  Every time I heard footsteps I got a little uneasy.  I had to go to the bathroom, but I was afraid to leave my desk.

My roommate knew she would probably get chopped.  I had my hopes she wouldn't.  She never made it a secret that she wanted to move and/or not work there anymore.  This gave good reason.  My roommate was one of the ones to go.

13 people.  Some with 7, 8, 10 years with the firm.  It could have easily been me. 

So today we went back to work.  Today was a little eerie.  A little ghostly.  Definitely after-math.   
We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I'm getting a little scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment