Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Debate

"Nothing is so perfectly amusing as a total change of ideas." - Laurence Sterne

Last night I had the opportunity to over hear two of my favorite people tear into each other about The Fall of Man, Free will, sin, and God's intentions or plan regarding all of these.  It wasn't intended to be entertaining or amusing.  And I probably shouldn't have even been there to listen.  But I was.  And it was amazing.  Even if I did have an opinion on the subject, there was no way I was about to chime in.  This wasn't for me.  I sat there smiling the entire time.   At times I had to laugh.  It was the highlight of my evening.  Both of these gentlemen were so set in their beliefs... each saying that they were open to hear the other's side... each trying to change the idea of the other... turns out only one of them actually was open to hearing another's opinion, the other was still beyond stubborn. 

Debate used to stress me out.  Certain topics still do.  It might even have to do with who is debating.  It's funny that moment you begin to doubt yourself.  That moment when the paradigm shifts.  It's awkward to admit you may have been wrong.  And still freeing.  I'm not good with the words.  I have a hard time debating.  But this evening was so incredibly enjoyable.  I could listen to these boys talk all day.  They make me think.  They make me laugh.  Both of these are appreciated.  

1 comment:

  1. :) I'm surprised you like visiting us if debate makes you uncomfortable... though I guess we don't really do that in front of you much :)

    ReplyDelete