Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Writing Life

I had a discussion with S recently about writing.  We talked about how important it was to leave some sort of impression on the relatives that come after you.  

Let me explain.  Right now I'm reading the book The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.  This book is set in Chicago during the time of the World's fair.  So... around 1893.  And I think it's really cool, because I had family living there around that time.  So I feel a connection.  S was saying, how cool would it be to be able to dig up a letter or a journal from a great great grandma to read her thoughts on the fair.  Letters are important.  Seeing handwriting is important.  

S also asked me what, in my lifetime, has had real significance, that generations after us would want to know where we were in relation to it, and how we felt.  This was a harder question than what I thought it would be.  

Of course September 11, 2001 is the very first thing that came to both our minds.  I still have this vivid memory though.  It was my junior year of college.  I was in Southern California.  So pretty much the opposite side of the country.  I was sitting on the floor of my dorm room, which happend to be the 2nd floor of a building called Newport Hall.  I was putting on makeup while looking in the big closet mirrors, when our suite mate came storming in our room and cried "A plane crashed into the two towers."  Shocked.  We watched what we could on tv, but I had to get to an 8am class.  It was marketing class and we still had class, like nothing had happened.  Later of course, when we finally knew what was going on, all classes were canceled.  I was on the softball team at the time, and practice was cancelled.  And that never happens.  My younger sister, who also went to the same college as I, hopped in the car and drove home.  I remember seeing my best guy friend's truck as I was about to leave.  I opened the window, touched the bumper, and secretly told him I loved him. Yes. Secretly.  

I think the best advice S gave me was to just write.  Don't edit myself.  It doesn't really matter how I say something as long as the points get written down.  

So.... I will begin to think about significant events in my life that should be documented. 

These should really be written down. By my hand. In a notebook.  Hopefully I get around to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment