Monday, April 9, 2012

The Devious Means - Songs We All Are Singing

I love music so very much.  I've often thought I should be a new music blogger.  Maybe a weekly: Now Playing blog.  I'm not very savvy on the lingo, but I know what I like.  I'll think about it.

I have to start somewhere though right? Here it is.  Songs We All Are Singing - The Devious Means. Let's call it SWAAS.  I did warn you back in January 2011 that The Meanies were coming... I hope you believed me.  :) 


This is the 2nd EP from The Devious Means. Compared to their 1st (Presenting The Devious Means), the progression is incredible, while being every bit as fun.  SWAAS totally captures the personality of the band.  I love that.  Seriously... Look at that album art.  How Mad Men Classy is that?  Totally reminiscent of the old 1960 Ocean's 11 poster, is it not?
(or was it the N Sync poster?  Hmmm.  I choose Ocean's 11)





For more of the Meanie vintage vibe, check out the website -  http://www.thedeviousmeans.com/ 


And now... onto the music.


Straight from the beginning, the "Song with No Name" captures you with the almost mystical western trumpet vibe...  It is so intriguing.  (Yes, keys & lead female vocalist, Rachel Anderson, also plays the trumpet.)


Shake. Watch out.... You better make some room, because you're gonna wanna dance. And then it is quite possible you'll want to continue for the next few songs.


Witmer is clearly the song that a crowd can shout along with.  Can you hear it? Hear it?  It has an urban feel that obviously comes from lead singer, Chris Faris' social work background.  The lyrics give such a clear vision of a tough life in the inner city.  And I love hearing the screams from drummer Jason Mize.  Excellent touch.


I am so incredibly happy with the new version of Porcelain Mouths. Megan Polendo's bass intro, has been described, pretty accurately, that it "makes me want to do dangerous things". And Anderson's cry at the 1:18 mark always blows my mind. It's my favorite. Her voice = Wow.  


Making Eyes & Good Company are cute new songs with the classic back and forth vocals that we've grown to love from this band.  I must also mention that Good Company features a rockin' accordion solo.  Accordions are cool.


I highly encourage getting this album. I have to say though, I still don't think it does the band justice to their live performances. (GO SEE THEM LIVE if you get the chance! You won't regret it.) If you're not in the Orange County area, this album still gives an honest representation of how delightful these people are.  


One of my favorite quotes from a review of their Album Release show at the House of Blues - Anaheim was from TNN Radio "As for the Devious Means, you’ll appreciate that you can see a little of yourself in each of them. You can also envision them being your brother, sister, neighbor or friend. You root for people like this, and in the end, you smile when you hear their music."  I love this, because it is so true. 


Well, that just about wraps it up. Be nice to yourself and listen to some Meanies. Soon, you too will be singing along with the Songs We All Are Singing. 
(or SWAAS to those of you who LOVE Acronyms.  Usually those in healthcare & chronic texters) 


P.S. I will send a copy of the new EP to the first person to leave a comment. :) This will be exciting. 

4 comments:

  1. I got my copy already, but I think I heart your writing and your music taste beyond words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks! And Hooray for the Meanies!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. yay! hey, rcdrummer... do you have the album yet? Send me your address, I'll send you a copy!

      Delete